Otherwise known as HOLY STATISTICS!
These summary stats were pulled from the Socialnomics site, so go there for the full statistical breakdown in written form. These are just the highlights!
- By 2010 Gen Y will outnumber Baby Boomers….96% of them have joined a social network
- Social Media has overtaken porn as the #1 activity on the Web
- 1 out of 8 couples married in the U.S. last year met via social media
- Years to Reach 50 millions Users: Radio (38 Years), TV (13 Years), Internet (4 Years), iPod (3 Years)…Facebook added 100 million users in less than 9 months…iPhone applications hit 1 billion in 9 months.
- 80% of Twitter usage is outside of Twitter…people update anywhere, anytime…imagine what that means for bad customer experiences?
- Generation Y and Z consider e-mail passé…In 2009 Boston College stopped distributing e-mail addresses to incoming freshmen
- The #2 largest search engine in the world is YouTube
- 54% = Number of bloggers who post content or tweet daily
- 25% of search results for the World’s Top 20 largest brands are links to user-generated content
- 78% of consumers trust peer recommendations
- Only 14% trust advertisements
- 25% of Americans in the past month said they watched a short video…on their phone
- 24 of the 25 largest newspapers are experiencing record declines in circulation because we no longer search for the news, the news finds us.
- More than 1.5 million pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photos, etc.) are shared on Facebook…daily.
Makes you think, doesn’t it?